Kaitlin S. Bursey specializes in water law, natural resources, and municipal law in both transactional and litigation capacities.
Kaitlin S. Bursey is an Associate in the firm’s Business and Litigation Departments. She provides transactional and litigation services to public agency and private clients in the areas of water, municipal, and agribusiness law. Kaitlin’s legal practice focuses on water and natural resources law, water rights, water quality, municipal rates and fees, public agency law, agribusiness, eminent domain, real property, and general civil litigation.
Kaitlin grew up in eastern Shasta County and discovered her interest in water law and policy through her involvement with the agriculture industry and organizations like 4-H and FFA.
During law school, Kaitlin clerked with the California Department of Water Resources, the California Attorney General’s Office Section for Land Use, Natural Resources, and Environmental Law, Westlands Water District, and two Sacramento-based private firms specializing in water and natural resources and agribusiness law. Kaitlin served as President of the McGeorge Water Law Society and was a teacher’s assistant for Professor Dan Croxall’s legal writing class. She was the 2017 recipient of ACWA’s Stephen K. Hall Water Law & Policy Scholarship.
Prior to attending law school, Kaitlin worked as an agribusiness insurance underwriter for a global insurance carrier.
• University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law (J.D., with distinction, 2019)
• California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (B.S., Agricultural Science, 2013)
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Courts, All Districts in California
Speaking Events and Publications
- Moderator, 2023 Environmental Law Conference at Yosemite – Panel titled “SGMA: Ruh Roh”
- Moderator, 2023 California Water Law Symposium – Panel titled “Innovations in Reconciling Water Supply and Species”
- Panelist, California Young Lawyer’s Association Water 101 Webinar (2022)
- Faculty, National Business Institute’s Water Rights in California CLE Event (2020, 2022)
- Harr, Kaitlin S., Protecting Public Services for All Ratepayers: Proposition 218 Process After Plantier, (Summer 2020) Real Prop. L.J., Vol. 38, No. 3; Pub. L.J. Vol. 43, No. 3.
- Harr, Kaitlin , Forever Chemicals: an Introduction to State and Federal Legislative and Regulatory Activity Regarding PFAS and Public Water Suppliers, (Spring 2020) Environmental L. News, Vol. 29, No. 1.